"Long ago in the city of Rome there lived a man named Valentine. He was kind and all the children loved him. One day, the king of Rome made a law. He said, "All young men will be in my army. They cannot ever get married." The young men and women were very sad..." from Halene's book The Story of Valentine's Day by Nancy Skarmeas. Summary: Valentine gets thrown in jail for helping to marry people, He prays for a blind girl, girl gets her sight back, Valentine sends the girl a letter and signs it "From your Valentine".
Now I know many of you are not crazy about Valentine's Day - too much hype and pressure to be romantic - but for those of us who are able, the freedom to marry whom we choose, to love whom we choose - that's something worth celebrating.
I love Valentine's Day. This will be the first Valentine's Day in about 11 years that I won't be working over-time in a flower shop all week. And I am feeling a little nostalgic and sad about it - I guess there is something fun and nice about helping people to find ways to show their sweethearts their love, appreciation, passion, what-have-you. Some of my favorite Valentine customers included: 1. the high school/middle school boy shyly coming in late in the day to get that perfect red rose - must be red (have some compassion for this crazy hormonal soul), 2. the Husband/Father who orders his wife roses every year (because they actually are her favorite), but who also sends his 3 daughters individual personalized bouquets 3. that lovely old lady with the white hair who sends anonymous bouquets of flowers to friends and even to people she doesn't really know, those who were nice to her that week. 4. all those sons or daughters who send their widowed or far-away moms or dads something - "just thinking of you" or "just missing you".
I am a romantic. Loving my husband for about 12 years now and more recently, in love with Halene and making room to love another. We don't have big plans for V-day - make a nice dinner, try to be nicer, less crabby or critical, appreciate each other.
Happy Valentine's Day from Alesa & Co. xoxo
(please, no mean comments on my somewhat sappy, emotional, hormonal pregnant ramblings - thanks.)

2 comments:
Alesa~ I totally understand how you feel about not working in the flower shop and being sad about it...I went through it my first year away! I love all of those sweet customers too! My favorite was the Dad who send flowers to his wife and daughters.....super sweet! I picture Nate doing that! :)
I don't know who missed Alesa working at the flower shop more...her adoring fans at the shop (of which I am one) or Alesa.
The man ordered flowers for his wife....and three mini boquets for his daughters again. I imagine his girls feel pretty special....
Post a Comment