Decorah peak is named after a Winnebago chief who had one eye and according to tradition, took refuge near the peak after being wounded in a Chippewa attack on his village. He remained in hiding through the bloody engagement and then at nightfall made his way down the Black River to another Winnebago settlement. The next day he returned, surprised the celebrating Chippewa and routed them. With other Wisconsin chiefs Decorah signed a treaty with the US at Prairie du Chien in 1825, establishing tribal boundaries in the hope of securing "a firm and perpetual peace". Decorah accompanied Black Hawk when he surrendered in 1832.
-source: Sarah Davis McBride. History Just Ahead. Madison WHS 1999.

Halene and I, determined to make it to the top...

The trails were steep my friends. At times I wanted to turn back, but Halene would say, "You can do it daddy!"

When we reached the rock on top, it looked like this, sheer rock walls.

But there was a crack in the rock, which you can climb to the top. I had heard that this would be the case.

Naturally, I let Halene test it out first...

We made it!

View to the SE, the peak top in the foreground, then the black river, and the town of Holmen in the distance...

View to the SW, wooded hills and the Trempeleau National Wildlife Refuge in the distance...
No comments:
Post a Comment